Pages

Monday 2 June 2014

21st Army Group


This week sees the 70th anniversary of the D day landings.
Operation Overlord the code name for the Normandy Landings commenced on the 6th June 1944 when nearly 160,000 troops left England and headed for the French coastline.

My grandfather Douglas Roche who is 94 years old and lives in Shropshire was on one of the ships that crossed the channel that day. A few years ago I asked him about his experience and he said to me ‘It was pretty much all over when I got there, blood and bodies everywhere’. He didn’t say too much more about it.

In 2004 he went over for the 60th anniversary, this time he not up to the trip but I am sure he will be there in spirit.

Here is a photo of my grandad with his army mates, I think he would have been about 23 years old. He is standing 3rd from the left with hands in his pockets. I am not sure what year this was taken or where it was but he did tell me he was in the Devonshire Regiment.

TAC HQ 21st Army Group with Douglas Roche


If anyone knows anything about the other men in this photo then please get in touch or comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment